Efficiency. Stability. Innovation. Accessibility. These are the defining features of the Manjaro Philosophy. These are also the defining features of the release of Manjaro 0.8.3, which has been optimised and enhanced significantly. Put simply, this release is leaner, faster, lighter, and more robust than ever before.
The core system has been upgraded to boost performance and responsiveness, resulting in even faster startup, shutdown, and operational speeds. The official Manjaro repositories have been transformed with an abundance of updated and brand new packages. Many software packages themselves have been exclusively patched by the Manjaro Team for stability.
Accessibility has also been enhanced. New user-friendly desktop tools have been added to easily manage user accounts and to configure the system. A full and comprehensive 66-page user guide has been produced. Even the installation files have been streamlined for smaller and faster downloads.
The full range of available flavours for this release are:
- XFCE 4.10
- KDE 4.9.4
- Cinnamon 1.6.7
- Mate 1.4.2
- Net-Edition (no DE pre-installed)
Manjaro will no longer provide a Gnome flavour or use the Gnome Display Manager (GDM), meaning that Cinnamon will now stand alone using LXDM. However, those who wish to do so may still install Gnome 3.6 and GDM from the Manjaro repositories. A more detailed overview of the changes and improvements in Manjaro 0.8.3 are as follows:
- The Manjaro Greenbird theme has been improved
- The Manjaro Hardware Detection Tool has been upgraded with multi-extramodules support
- Patches and fixes have been developed for the latest software packages (e.g. Xorg-Server 1.13)
- A new user-friendly LibreOffice installer has been introduced
- All software package lists have been optimised
- The CLI installer has been improved further with enhanced EFI support and a more reliable installation method
- Gnome System Tools has been added
- Mesa has been updated to 9.0.1
- Readahead has been disabled
- GDM has been replaced with LXDM for the Cinnamon Release
- Pulse Audio – and its related un-mute bug – has been removed and replaced with ALSA in our XFCE Release
- The keyboard layout bug has been fixed
- The GRUB configuration bug has been fixed
- Nvida-Legacy has been added
- Catalyst-Legacy has been removed
Further information about Manjaro 0.8.3 developments can be found in our changelog.
The Manjaro Team
Links – Download Manjaro 0.8.3 – Download Manjaro 0.8.3 Beginners Installation Guide – Manjaro Support Forum – Manjaro Wiki – Create USB Install-Media
Posted in: general