Manjaro welcomes another addition to the family in the form of our brand-new Openbox flavour!
Designed and built exclusively by the Manjaro team, this lightweight, sleek, and super-fast flavour comes with a unique twist – traditional menus are not used to find and launch applications!
Instead, the heart of the desktop is Synapse. At first glance comparable to a typical menu search bar, Synapse is in fact a very powerful and versatile tool that boasts a wide range of useful features, particularly due to the optional plugins available. Some of these features include:
- Locating and launching applications faster than menus
- Accessing specific file types such as documents, pictures, and movies
- Opening folder locations
- Directly controlling applications such as XNoise and Banshee
- Running terminal commands
- Submitting Google searches
- And much more!
Synapse can also remember previous searches to provide the right results instantly, even with just a single key stroke. Application Finder – usually found in the XFCE desktop environment – has also been included to enable users to search for and browse installed applications in a more traditional manner, too.
Sounds good? Well, we’re only just getting started! Here are some of the more notable features that can be found in our newest flavour:
- Custom user-friendly configuration menu to easily tweak every aspect of the environment
- Custom short-cut keys to instantly launch core applications and options
- Custom Tint2 Panel (with built-in calendar) and workspace switcher
- Optional pre-configured launcher
- Thunar – the default file manager – has all the extra features usually found in XFCE
- Special Openbox Quick Guide
- CD-sized installation files for both 32 and 64-bit systems (i.e. less than 700MB)
- Designed to equally suit users who focus on the keyboard or mouse
32-bit installations also have the added bonus of extra Manjaro backgrounds being pre-installed. New users can enjoy the speed and versatility of Openbox in a pre-configured system that is set-up and ready to go; no additional configuration is required. Experienced users – and of course those inclined to learn – can enjoy a rock-solid foundation to customise and build on.
A special thanks goes to:
- Phil for his immense support, technical expertise, and patience
- Handy for sharing his Openbox knowledge
- Ayceman for helping to test the prototype
Community, Wiki, and Documentation
Links – Download Manjaro Openbox Edition 0.8.3 – Download Manjaro 0.8.3 Beginners Installation Guide – Manjaro Support Forum – Manjaro Wiki – Create USB Install-Media